Thursday, May 17, 2018

God's Covenant People - Part Six

In our continuing study of the Covenants which Jehovah God established with His people, we have examined the Mosaic Covenant in our last two messages. At Mt. Sinai, God presented His Law that are guidelines for living lives acceptable to Him but we learned God's people disobeyed almost immediately. In reality, God's Covenant people are not able in their own way to keep the Mosaic Covenant and not sin.

As a result, God established a New and Better Blood Covenant as illustrated in Jeremiah 31:31-34:

"The time is coming," Declares The Lord,
"When I will make a new Covenant with the house of Israel 
and with the house of Judah. It will not be like the Covenant
I made with their forefathers when I took them by the hand
to lead them out of Egypt, because they broke My Covenant, 
though I was a husband to them," Declares The Lord. 

"This is the Covenant I will make with the House of Israel
after that time," Declares The Lord.
"I will put My law in their minds and write it on their hearts.
I will be their God, and they will be My people.
No longer will a man teach his neighbor,
or a man his brother, saying 'know The Lord,'
because they will all know me, from the least of them
to the greatest." Declares The Lord.

"For I will forgive their wickedness
and will remember their sins no more."

How did Jehovah God establish this New and Better Blood Covenant? He sent His Son Jesus Christ to earth to shed His blood by dying on a cross. Hebrews 9:22 says, "In fact, the law requires that nearly everything be cleansed with blood, and without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness." The Mosaic Covenant required the sacrifice of bulls and goats to atone for the sins of the people but this was not forgiveness of sins.

The broken body and shed blood of Jesus Christ, the most important event in world history, accomplished the will of Jehovah God. Jesus said in Matthew 5:17, "Do not think that I have come to abolish the law or the Prophets, I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them." The law is still in effect today but Jesus gave us a way to have our sins immediately forgiven when we sincerely repent of our sins and ask for forgiveness. 1John1:9 says, "If we confess our sins He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness."

Next week's message will conclude our study of God's Covenants and will concentrate on another very important benefit of living under the New and Better Blood Covenant. Stay Tuned!

May The Lord Bless You And Keep You This Day And Every Day,
Frank    

No comments:

Post a Comment